Different genders have different responses to drugs and alcohol. The way a man’s body responds to the effects of a drug will be different from how a woman’s will. Millions of people in our country struggle with drug use disorders. It is no secret that the majority of these people are men. But women too suffer from addiction. To increase their chances of making a complete recovery, there is a need for some individuals to approach the treatment from a gender-specific point of view. The treatment that will work for a woman may not necessarily work for a man. So, what is gender-specific treatment, and how can Blueprint Recovery help you?
What is Gender-Specific Treatment?
Gender-specific treatment is a special kind of treatment for those struggling with substance use disorder. It tailors its plan to best fit the needs of the gender in question. Gender-specific treatment also considers that distractions may arise from mixing members of different sexes at a treatment facility. These distractions are a barrier to the efficient execution of the programs. For instance, mixing women and men in a drug rehab facility may alienate the female gender. This is because of society’s view on women and addiction. Some people still don’t expect women to indulge in drugs, let alone develop an addiction. Such views can make it difficult for a woman to seek treatment openly at a mixed addiction treatment program.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Treatment Programs
Now that you know what is gender-specific treatment, here are some of its benefits:
- Fewer Distractions: Mixing members of different sexes can be chaotic. This is because of the natural attraction that exists between these sexes. The attraction may shift their focus from making a full recovery to pursuing their interests from the other gender.
- Easy Relations: Addicts of the same gender can share information and relate with each other easily. Their struggles are the same, and whatever they discuss in therapies will apply to all of them. Mixing genders may create a situation where addicts cannot relate because they do not have shared experiences.
- Comfort in Treatment: In a mixed environment, some patients may find it hard to share traumatic or intimate experiences during treatment. In a gender-specific environment, the audience is more welcoming, and they feel safer to confide in. This encourages the patients to be open and honest, which impacts positively on their healing.
- Concentration on Gender-Specific Issues: Gender-specific treatment allows professionals to focus only on gender-specific issues. For instance, in a women’s rehab program, the professional can focus on issues touching on motherhood and addiction without alienating any member of the program.
Types of Addiction Treatment Programs
Blueprint has gender-specific programs that can help you deal with addiction. It also has other programs that admit both genders. Whatever you prefer, we have it. Some of the programs include:
- Men’s rehab program: The men’s rehab program allows you to make a recovery among your peers. These people will encourage and motivate you through group therapies. This will be good for your healing.
- Women’s rehab center: A center that can help women struggling with addiction get the treatment they need with fewer distractions.
- Intensive outpatient program: If you don’t want to stay at the facility, this is the program for you. The program is flexible to allow you to concentrate on other duties. You only come for treatment at a time that is suitable for you.
- Alcohol addiction treatment program: This program is beneficial for persons battling alcohol addiction. It will help you to detox safely and get treatment through medication.
- Alumni support program: The program will help your post-treatment. It offers support to ensure you stay on track after leaving the facility.
Understanding Gender-Specific Treatment
We have the answer to what is gender-specific treatment. In case you did not want to go for treatment because you thought such treatment options don’t exist, now is the time to change your mind. Do not let addiction trap you. Addiction treatment professionals are ready to turn your life around for the better.